The vision of Sammamish is a community of families. A blend of small-town atmosphere with a suburban character, the city also enjoys a unique core of urban lifestyles and conveniences. It is characterized by quality neighborhoods, vibrant natural features, and outstanding recreational opportunities. A variety of community gathering places provide numerous civic, cultural, and educational opportunities. Residents are actively involved in the decisions that shape the community and ensure a special sense of place.
Accordingly, the city's Comprehensive Plan, adopted by the City Council on September 25, 2003, is intended to:
- Maintain a small-town atmosphere and suburban character so that new development will complement Sammamish’s existing character as well as allow for diversity and creativity;
- Provide a family friendly, kid safe community;
- Encourage community gathering spaces which invite human presence, arouse curiosity, pique interest and allow for the interaction of people;
- Establish a unique sense of place for visitors and residents;
- Respect the character and integrity of existing neighborhoods;
- Preserve trees and green ways by encouraging the preservation or development of large areas of greenery which provide a visual impact as opposed to creating small areas of unusable residue;
- Protect and enhance streams, wetlands and wildlife corridors;
- Maintain a harmonious relationship between the natural environment and future urban development;
- Create a safe and interesting network of trails for hiking, biking and horseback riding;
- Establish a park and recreation system that meets the high standards of the community;
- Provide accessible, quality government service and encourage active, involved citizens;
- Develop civic and cultural opportunities and experiences.