Beaver Lake Park Off-Leash Area
Beaver Lake Park was transferred to the City of Sammamish from King County in 2003.
Due to the public’s requests for an off leash dog area the City of Sammamish Parks
and Recreation Department will install an off leash area at Beaver Lake Park. The
area chosen for the off leash area is located under the power lines adjacent to
the 3 baseball fields located off of 244th Ave SE. There will be a public meeting
to enlist comments from the public on what elements to include in this estimated
2 acre off leash area.
July 2008 - The official grand opening of
the off-leash area was held on Thursday, May 15th. A crowd of happy dog-owners and
their dogs were in attendance to celebrate the opening. The final OLA element -
the drinking fountain will be installed by the end of June due to staff workload.
Goals and Benefits
- To invite community interest and participation.
- Provide a successful model for an off leash area to meet the needs of the community.
- Spring 2007 — Research design criteria
- June 2007 — Public Input
- Summer 2007 — Final Design
- Fall 2007 — Start Construction
- Spring 2008 — Opening
- $100,000 allocated in the 2007 budget for planning and construction.
- June 13 - Community Workshop — See meeting summary below.
Community Workshop - Meeting Summary
- Prefer one area for large dogs and one for small dogs
- Large bullpen entrance with hard surface
- Three rail wood fence with chain link
- Gate with two-way latch system
- Gravel trails in natural areas
- Provide ADA access
- Drinking fountains with hose bib feature
- Wood or recycled plastic style benches
- Dog waste bag dispensers and receptacles
- Signage to be non-intrusive/open looking
Permits, Environmental Review
- Clearing and Grading Permit
Mike Keller, Parks Maintenance Coordinator, (425) 295-0583