Calculating Diameter Breast Height
Diameter Breast Height (DBH) is the standard used to measure the size of a tree. DBH is measured at 54 inches above ground.
How to measure your tree's diameter
- Use a soft measuring tape. Wrap it around each branch at 54 inches (4.5 feet) to find the circumference of each one.
- Write down the circumference for each branch so you can use it for the below calculations.
- For each branch, enter the circumference into Calculator 1 below to find the DBH of the branch.
- Write down the DBH for each branch so you can enter them into Calculator 2.
- Enter the DBH of each branch into Calculator 2 below to find the equivalent DBH of the tree.