Start or Grow Your Business

What You Need to Know About Permitting and Licensing

Work on a Business Plan and Location

Focus on fine tuning your business plan and leverage available resources through the City and state of Washington. Start researching your site and space needs and identify potential locations for your business.

Know Your Site and Zoning

Before moving forward on your business plan and site selection, make sure your site is zoned for your business and use. The City has a number of land use designations that allow for the operation of a business and it is important to understand the rules and regulations applicable to your location.

Verify Building Use and Permit Requirements

Work with the City to verify land use or building permit requirements that may apply to you. Navigating the building permit process can be complicated, so it's important to work with the City to understand any requirements your location or business may be subject to. Even if you aren't planning on making any improvements or changes to a property, it's important to check with the City's Building Division to make sure your space meets all applicable codes requirements. Learn more at the Permit Center

Obtain a Business License

Obtain a business license through the Washington State Business License Service as all businesses are required to have one. The city's annual business license fee is $15.00.

Other Requirements

Make sure you’ve researched other potential licensing and permitting requirements required by the State and other entities (a liquor license for example). In addition, understand the taxes you're responsible for as a business owner in Sammamish and Washington State.

Below is a brief summary of applicable taxes in the state of Washington and the City of Sammamish.

  • The city has no business and occupation tax (B&O) on businesses.

  • The city has no utility tax, including electricity, natural gas, water, sewer, solid waste, and cable TV.

  • Although none exist within its borders, the city has a 5% admissions tax on theaters.

  • Businesses operating in Sammamish are required to report retail sales in Sammamish to the state using Tax Code 1739.

  • Businesses and consumers buying goods from out of state not for resale are required to pay use-tax on those items. A "Consumer Use Tax Return"

Sammamish Town Center

Locate Your Business in the Heart of the City

Sammamish Town Center is the City’s newest and most ambitious mixed use residential and commercial center. It allows for a diverse range of commercial uses and is currently home to millions of dollars in private and public investment. If you’re interested in learning more about Sammamish Town Center, please visit the following page.

Learn more about the features that you may enjoy as a business at Sammamish Town Center on the Town Center project page.