Skip to the main content
Sammamish Town Center (not licensed)

Right-of-Way Use Permits

There are two bucket trucks, one on each side of the road. One has a crew member in its cherry picker working on an electrical line.

A Right-of-Way (ROW) use permit is required for any activity that:

  • occurs in the right-of-way;
  • significantly impacts traffic; or
  • constructs or modifies infrastructure in the ROW.

Instructions on how to apply


The Public Works Department can assist in the early planning stages to determine if a ROW permit is required.

The ROW often extends into what may appear to be private property. Assets in the ROW include:

  • the roadway;
  • curb and gutter;
  • sidewalks;
  • landscaping;
  • sewer and water lines; and
  • telephone, power, and other utility infrastructure. 

Digging more than a foot deep in the public right of way could cause serious damage or harm by encountering power lines or other utilities. Even planting a shrub could be dangerous!


Check the Sammamish maps and contact the Public Works department to discuss if you will be in the right-of-way. You may be required to obtain a survey of your property to determine the location.

Right-of-Way Permit Types

Type A: Special Events, such as fun runs or parades.

Type B: Construction, replacement, or modifications to driveway connections, frontage improvements, etc.

Type C: Utility repairs, installation, and maintenance.

Type D: Lease agreement, required for items to be placed in the right-of-way. This may include fences or rockeries.

ROW Permit Extension Request

ROW Activities Not Permitted

The City grants a Type A permit for the temporary placement of dumpsters and moving containers.

The City does not grant permission to fill in ditches. Ditches manage surface water runoff and are an important part of City infrastructure.

Permit Resources

Chapter 21.08.060 Right of Way Permits

Public Works Standards

Financial Guarantees and Bonding Information

CALL 8-1-1 BEFORE YOU DIG. It's the law.

Who Is Responsible for the Maintenance of Sidewalks?

Sammamish differs from many other jurisdictions in sidewalk maintenance. The City will maintain and repair all sidewalks for cracks and tripping hazards. Residents are responsible, however, for cleaning or removing snow and ice from sidewalks.

If a sidewalk is in need of repair, please notify us through My Sammamish.

For complaints about items blocking the public ROW, please contact Sammamish Police.